Tuesday 13 November 2012

Yogurt cake

Yogurt cake was the first cake I have ever baked.
I was only 9 years old and my sister died. My dad had 3 jobs and my mum was doing a law degree as well working full time in social services of the biggest school in our area.
My sister LuĂ­sa and I had to take the lead on house hold and it was fun!
My mum has one of those very very old and knackered recipe books, hand written, with pictures on the first pages, but just mere notes on the last pages. Most pages were covered in bits of flour and stains. Most recipes were of cakes, and were my grandma's or my mum's cousin, Adelta.
Yogurt cake seemed like the easiest recipe and as i loved yogurts, it was a match made in heaven! (Don't forget this was the way of thinking of a 9 year old...)

Get 4 eggs and one yogurt - any flavor will do! I love it with lemon yogurt and add a zest of lemon at the end, or with raspberry yogurt and add raspberries and strawberries... Natural yogurt and add apples and a tea spoon of cinnamon... it's really up to your taste! And also it's fun, you can bake a different flavor every time!
The yogurt pot will be your measuring cup!
Mix the yogurt and the eggs and add 2 yogurt pots of sugar. Mix again and add 1 pot of vegetable oil. Mix. Finally add 3 pots of self raising flour and 1 tea spoon of baking powder. Mix all very well and it's ready to go into the oven for about 40 minutes on gas mark 5.

If you want to make it an apple yogurt cake, chop some apples and when the mix is on the tin, cover the top with apples. I love it with blueberries and blackcurrents... with strawberries... with bananas... any fruits going a little off on the fruit bowl can make it into a delicious cake.

 It's a very " childish" cake, it isn't " fancy" and doesn't have much technique. It's a fun cake and works a any tea party!

Back then, when I was 9, we were emotionally fragile, but we were always together, and cooking brought us together!

No comments:

Post a Comment