Thursday 21 August 2014

When life throws you lemons - Part 2 - Lemon cake with curd and lemon buttercream - Gluten Free

Continuing my  "15 shades of yellow" theme, and after making such delicious lemon curd, I had to make something extraordinary - a big lemon cake!
I couldn't find one single recipe with what I wanted to bake, so this cake was like building a puzzle - that's the fun about baking for me.
I took a Victoria Sponge recipe and added lemon zest which I thought would go well with the lemon curd and the lemon buttercream. I only used real lemons as I wanted a very refreshing lemon tast - it's a summer cake!

Victoria Sponge recipe:

4 eggs
225gr caster sugar
225gr self raising flour (if you're using gluten free flour, add 3 tbs of milk)
1 tsp baking powder
225gr butter
zest of one unwaxed lemon

Pre heat the oven on 180/ 170 FAN or gas mark 4.
Add the butter and sugar in a bowl and mix for 4 minutes with an electric whisk until light and creamy, then add the rest of the ingredients and mix all together for 2 minutes. divide into two cake tins and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.

Lemon buttercream:

125 gr unsalted butter
250 icing sugar
juice of 1 small lemon






No comments:

Post a Comment