Thursday 26 June 2014

Coconut Macaroons - Gluten free

Since I was little I always felt a very close relation with nature. Going for hikes and country walks once in a while, helps me to cope with city life. Each hike has its challenges - the rain, the cold, the heat, the snow, the edgy paths, the breathtaking colours, the moments of almost insanity when you think " why am here? why do I get myself into these situations"... the moments when you just want to quit, but you can't because you're in the middle of nowhere and unless you get taken by helicopter, you're pretty much have to sort yourself out of there. And also the moments when you just feel... as one with nature. and you can sit down and have a snack!
I am off to the Lake District tomorrow and I just baked these lovely coconut macaroons. They are very quick and easy to make.

This recipe was taken from "Domestic Goddess" by Nigella Lawson.

2 large egg whites 
100 gr caster sugar
30 gr ground almonds
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
250 gr shredded coconut

Pre-heat the oven to 170 or gas mark 3

Whisk the egg whites until frothy and add the sugar gradually. This takes about 5 minutes. When you reach a very thick and glossy consistency, fold gently the vanilla and the dried ingredients. 
Nigella's recipe suggests to make 8 large macaroons, however, i made mine smaller, about 5cm each and made 12. This way I can share them with my fellow hiking friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment