Wednesday 6 February 2013

Polenta Chips with rosemary and piri piri and 5 spice chicken - Gluten Free

The Polenta chips are actually a River Cottage recipe that I love so much I want to share. This is a very naughty dinner, but boy it tastes good! I had never heard of Polenta until I meet my boyfriend's italian father. Giovani explained to me that when he was growing up polenta was very cheap and it was a substitute to bread. It used to take a long time to cook the polenta in those days. Nowadays there's easy to cook polenta and it's ready in 4-5 minutes.

Marinate the chicken with a sprinkle of olive oil, a couple of tea spoons of 5 spice mix, a couple of garlic cloves  and a couple of slices of fresh ginger.
Cover the bowl and leave it in the fridge for a couple of hours.

For the polenta:
Grate 100 gr of cheddar cheese, then chop a hand full of rosemary and a couple of cloves of garlic and one piri piri (or chilli).
Gently fry the rosemary, garlic and piri piri and leave on the side.
 Boil 800ml of water in a pan and add 150 gr of polenta. Stir continuously for 4-5 minutes then add the cheese and the olive oil/rosemary/garlic/piri piri mix. Stir all together and take out of the hobb. place the polenta on a plate and let it cool down for 30 minutes.
Once the polenta has cooled down, it looks like a cake. Slice the polenta gently into strips and fry as you would do with potato chips.

While you're frying the polenta chips, grill the chicken and voila, your meal is ready! I like a sprinkle of lemon juice on my chicken.
Polenta Claudine brought for me from Italy
Polenta cooling down looks like a cake. You can eat it as it is in this picture.
yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment