Friday 13 April 2012

Puy lentil Soup - Gluten Free


I only started eating lentils very recently. When I was growing up I never even knew about this delicious pulse. Maybe my parents didn't like it...
The first time I tried lentil soup was with Emma. She had one of those fresh soups you can now get in supermarkets and I tried hers because I never had even seen lentils in my life. It was red lentil soup with red peppers! Ever since I have been almost addicted. On the opposite of what I thought for a long time, lentils don't actually take a long time to cook and you can get the red lentils which are thinner and cook quicker or you can get green lentils which are a little bit chubbier, take a little longer to cook but are just as wonderful.
I have tried many lentil soup recipes but this one I tried yesterday which i took from the "River Cottage Veg" book is my favourite.


Puy Lentil and Spinach soup:
2 tbs of olive oil
1 medium onion finely chopped
a few sprigs of thyme. leaves only rughly chopped
1 carrot chopped in little cubes
3 garlic cloves finelly chopped
3 tomatoes corred, deseeded and diced (I used canned tomatoes)
150g puy lentils rinsed
1.3 liters of vegetable stock (I used boulin)
100 gr of spinach
Salt and pepper to taste
*
Fry the onion with the carrot and the thyme. once the onion is getting a little colour, add the garlic and the tomatoes. once it's boiling add the lentils and the stock. let it cook for 30 minutes. Add the spinach last and leave for one minute. 

The book suggests you can put parmesan cheese on top. I didn't but it must be nice too! I had a couple of bowls with toasted rye bread with a little bit of butter... yum

Hope you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment