Wednesday 26 June 2013

Paella - Gluten Free

Paella is a very dear dish to me - as a kid it was a dish that marked my summer holidays in Spain... and as a grown up, the dish I had on my first night, on my first holiday with my boyfriend, in Roses - Spain.
And to mark another very special date, i made Paella!
I couldn't believe I cooked this...


You should cook this too! Here's the recipe:

1 red onion
4 cloves of garlic
400 gr prawns
1 cup of paella rice
1 cube of chicken stock
pinch of saffron
1 tbsp  sweet paprika
1 tsp turmeric
2 chicken breasts
1 hand full of clams
1 hand full of green peas
1 red pepper
1 green pepper (to grill)
about 10 slices of chorizo (chouriço)


Boil water and add a little to the saffron and a pint to the chicken stock. Start grilling the pepper - you can do this in your oven or on a grill pan (takes about 20/30 minutes). For this recipe you need a non sticking pan!
Chop and fry the onion until it starts to crisp, then add the chorizo slices and the chicken. Fry until the chicken starts to get the color of the chorizo. Now add the paprika and the turmeric and let the chicken and the chorizo really absorb the spices. At this point, add the saffron, the red pepper and  the rice. Fry the rice for a couple of minutes then add the stock. Add the sea food and let cook for 25 minutes. Don't stir, just keep adding stock if it starts looking dry. Add just a little bit of liquid - you don't want your rice to get soggy but want to have enough liquid for it to cook.
Taste the rice - when it's nearly done, add the green peas and turn the heat off about a minute after. Chop the grilled green pepper and garnish the paella.
I hope I explained well enough. This is one of those recipes that the timing with the ingredients is essential!
Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment